Sunday, September 15, 2013

Road to First Mini Triathlon

I can't believe how long it has been since I have posted!  Well, here it is:

Completed month 3 of training.  Took to Ocean water swimming much better than I thought.  The wetsuit really gives you an edge with staying afloat which to me, helps with peace of mind.  As the month goes by and life gets so busy it was hard to keep up the training, however, it was kept up.

Made it to morning of first Tri -- Santa Barbara 500 M swim, 6 Mile Bike and 2 Mile Run.  Wake up time was 4:30 am, to leave hotel at 5am for 5:30 am arrival at race via bike.  Got adorned with gear -- didn't have to put on make up which is always a treat and trotted bike (new bike by the way - Red, Felt Z4 -- love it!) down the hallway and stairs.  We (my husband and I) jumped on our bikes in the dark and started our ride.  It was a beautiful, serene morning ride which took about 20 minutes.  As we arrived to the bib pick up, the excitement starts to brew.  Not too many people there yet so we really got to savor the experience.
Got in the tiny line, gave my name and got my packet.  Pulled out my timing chip, had it checked and was good to go.  We sat down with our coffees (wow, do they know how to get the tourist dollar on that) and went though our packets -- this is it, it is really the day we have been working up to.  Put my number sticker on my helmet and bike, bib number on my race belt and did a little pre race relax.

About 6:30am, time to go into the Transition area and set up first transition -- very exciting as I had never done this before.  Got into the area early and my sis and I were able to set up next to each other.  We marked our lane with chalk at the end so we knew where to run into as the area can get very full and confusing.  We mounted our bikes on the rack (btw, just watch other people set up and you will figure it out:)) set out our little towel,  shoes, helmet, gloves, wetsuit and  **note to self next time a water bucket for feet.

More people are starting to pour in -- we are in the women's only division so our transition area all women -- all seem very cool.  There were teams of moms, daughter/mother teams, young people, older people, super fit people and peeps that didn't appear super fit.  None the less, very exciting and a little scary all at the same time.  As my husband was in the co-ed division, his race started before ours.  As we were standing and waiting for him to come out of the water there was a guy next to me that was wet and in his wetsuit and I said, "Wow, did you finish already?"  He replied, "No, I had to quit mid swim because I couldn't breathe".  Needless to say, I was glad my sister didn't hear this as she was already very anxious about the swim portions as many are, including myself.  I chose not to chat with this man further as I didn't want it to mess with my head.

7:45 am, time to head to the beach to start this monumental experience.  All wet-suited up (I chose sleeveless option as sleeves make me feel constricted), colored swim cap on and standing in front of the Big Blue Ocean -- wholly cow, we are really gonna do this thing!  My sis and I chose to let other people run down first and we would take our time.  Many people go in the water first to acclimate to it, I like to just run, jump in and go.
There it is, the blow horn, Game Time!!!! Running into the water with all these people at the same time is a wild and weird feeling.  The water is chilly but the excitement overrides the cool temperature. In my head I am thinking how surreal this is, all these feet around me kicking away.  You can feel that waves around you, moving you about-- it is weird.  As you are swimming you have to manage your energy, your thoughts going through your head -- it is sort of frantic yet peaceful at the same time.  I swam by a little school of fish, made sure I kept sighting so I didn't end up in Catalina and stayed on the correct side of the buoy's.  About half way through I remember thinking how cool this experience is and that it is not as hard as I thought it would be.  I cannot put into words what an amazing feeling it is to round the buoy as you are swimming back towards the beach to finish the swim!  The feeling that rivals swimming into the shore is when you are running out, up the beach -- people are cheering and telling you good job and in my head I am joyful, proud and thanking God that I just completed the swim portion of the event.  It brings a little tear to my eye as I sit here and recount the experience.  Btw, another note to self, remember to smile as you exit the water so your pictures don't make you look like you are struggling on the toilet :-).

Running up the sand and into the transition area -- my head is racing with thoughts of completing the swim and thinking onto the bike and what do I have to do next?  Get to the bike, soaking wet as I strip off my wetsuit, shaking with excitement.  Soak my feet in someone else's water bucket (sorry).  Dry my feet, put on my cycling shorts (another learned lesson, next time need a tri suit! Look at me already talking about next time :)), put on running shoes, helmet and grab bike and start running bike out of transition area (you have to walk or run it, No riding bike in T area). Ooooops, bike comes to sudden stop as I forgot I hung race belt on wheel and it got stuck.  Had to spend time to get it unstuck which is not good as the transition time all counts against your overall time.

As I get bike out of T area and hop on for the ride the feeling of exhilaration is so overwhelming I almost start to cry --- I can't believe that I am doing this.  The ride is a little more hilly than I anticipated and it is an open course.  I am cruising along and thinking "I got this" only to be held up by someone running on the course, a lady with her car in the middle of the road and not moving it and people riding in the middle not staying to the right.  All in all though, it was a decent ride and as you approach the Transition area to dismount the bike the feelings of exhilaration return.

Ahhh, now the dreaded run portion.  I like to jog and at my own pace.......running for speed anymore is not my favorite thing to do.  Run bike back to T area, mount the bike, take off helmet, and go! It is such a weird feeling going from bike to running -- your legs feel wobbly and unstable.  I trek out one foot unstably in front of the other. In my mind I am thinking, this is it - 2 miles and then I have completed my First Mini Tri!  I trudge along down the bike path.  It is starting to warm up -- I just keep putting one foot in front of the other.  I keep thinking I want to run faster but I don't want to run out of energy.  I run past a lady and her husband, people pass me -- in my head I just keep telling myself, keep going, this is it.  There it is........the loop to turn back!  I am on my way.  As I approach the shoot to go across the finish line, I think to myself to savor this experience as it is almost over. As I run into the shoot I start to turn up the heat and run as fast as I can to get myself over the finish line -- here it is, the moment of truth...........I raise my hands into the air, let out a scream and cross the finish line!!!!!! :):);)  They say your name over the loud speaker as you cross and you know you have done it! I get my timing chip removed, my finishers medal is placed proudly upon me and I have completed a new challenge that I set out to achieve.  This is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

On the heels (no pun) of the excitement, elation, and sheer proudness -- we now decide to do Long Beach Tri next, 800 M swim, 11 Mile Bike and 3 Mile run.

For anyone thinking of taking on the challenge, I recommend it highly!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment