Saturday, June 29, 2013

Road to First Mini Triathlon

5/29/13

Ran yesterday, check

Biked 30 today 20 of it uphill, arggh. Can def feels abs, quads and inner thigs getting a workout. Our ride is either super difficult or easy - uphill all on the way out, at least you get it over with.
I know why gloves are important - sweaty paws don't make for a good grip. Shorts helped today. Took little 30 seconds breaks on the up hill. Gears and I are becoming fast friends


Swim - check

Running almost as fast as biking, not sure if that is saying much for either :)

6/5/13

Finished first week of training and completed all tasks. Swimming was overall good but def need goggles and to put hair in ponytail for freestyle - did breast stroke instead.

Week 2 of Biking, hills still kicking my butt - feeling the burn in quads front, anterior and lateral also feeling it on the uphill in abs (which I like)

6/7/13
Officially signed up for the Big Event! No backing out now, although I did buy the insurance in case something happens :)
Signed up for just for fun and co ed - two weeks after the competitive bug hit, changed to age and women's only event


6/16/13

Finishing my third week of training, can't believe it!  Wetsuit arrived yesterday -- neosport sleevless - it is great, easy on/off not constricting and got delivered from Amazon of course :) Also purchased some biking shorts to keep legs from chafing and bum from getting sore - it now makes sense to me why all the bikers wear those goofy outfits!

Went on first group ride and 17miles -- it was awesome. What a fantastic time, great people, beautiful ride. I am being told my bike is a piece o Crapoli (at least for this type of riding) and it needs to go back :(Apparently I am working much harder than I need to because of the bikes performance ability. I guess the good news is I am getting a better workout and I when I get on a proper bike it will be like cheating (we will see). I am grateful to my little bike though b/c it got me to the point yesterday where I could go out on the group ride, go 17 miles and have such a terrific time. 

One month down - month two - step up the swimming.

This month starts swimming 2 x per week.  I haven't missed a training yet and today have learned a great lesson in determination, perseverance and persistence oh and don't forget "artful dodging"

Note to self - correctly check the open swim vs lap swim schedule. Today my horoscope said I was going to have a momentous day --

I think if you mean by momentus swimming with a pool full of sea urchins making artificial waves with no lap lanes as in good training for the masse of peeps that will be racing against in open water, then --- yes :):):) 

6/28/13

2 months before the big event!

Did first "brick" training. 30 minute ride (took a minute off my uphill - yeah).
29 minute run to follow - not as easy :( between the wobbly legs from the bike, the resistance of the dog and all the up hills - kind of a struggle. I did do it, just much slower than I would have liked to.

I am learning that form and breathing play a big part in a successful outcome so I am trying to improve on those aspects.
Tomorrow is the pool - hopefully we can get there before all of the summertime sea urchins do :)


No comments:

Post a Comment